Zucchini BrowniesA Montessori Recipe
Healthy Brownies? Is that even possible? Well, yes!
Brownies are always a children’s favourite, after all, who can go past chocolate, right? But as we are always trying to promote healthy eating and a balanced lifestyle, we also see brownies as a great opportunity to sneak in some veggies – the yummy chocolate will make sure veggies go undetected even by the pickiest of eaters.
This delicious treat packs a nutritional punch without compromising on flavour. Zucchini is an excellent source of essential vitamins and fibre, and is the nutritional star of this recipe.
This is an easy healthy brownies recipe, and your little helpers will love sifting, mixing and learning lifelong cooking skills with you.
Most of the steps in this recipe are simple enough for children to handle alone, but parental supervision is encouraged when using the oven.
Time: 10 minutes | Cook: 30 minutes | Serves: 12
- 1 ½ cup raw sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa, sifted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups finely grated zucchini
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C. Prepare a 20cm x 20cm cake tin. In a bowl, mix to combine sugar, oil, vanilla, flour, cocoa, eggs and salt.
- Mix in the zucchini and chocolate chips until the mixture is well combined.
- Pour the mixture into prepared tin. Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through. Cool and serve sliced into squares.
- This adaptable recipe can be changed to include different vegetables for a variety of nutritional benefits. Try with pumpkin for a hit of antioxidants, or carrot to aid digestion.
- Parental supervision will be required during use of oven.
Beverly Hills Montessori Christian Long Day Care provides a combination of authentic Montessori education classes and Christian values and faith building. If you are looking for childcare in the Narwee, Peakhurst, and Hurstville areas, book a tour now.